Saturday, June 5, 2010

Once more into the breach!

Greetings!

Inspired (as I always am) by my good friend and partner-in-shenanigans, Thomas Foss, I have decided to follow in his footsteps and start blogging.

As an aside, "blogging" may be the most unappealing word in the modern eLexicon. It's sound is reminiscent of an unpleasant action, perhaps one associated with the human digestive system. Which end of the system I leave up to you to decide. Of course, many blogs are unpleasant even without the unfortunate title of "blog", but if you are going to let everyone publish, I guess it cannot be helped. Remember when being published used to mean something? I do.

I used to be the web guy and chief flunky of Flagshipgames.com, a now-essentially defunct site since we licensed the lot to Mark Severin at Scalecreep Miniatures (http://www.scalecreep.com). Mark is an excellent individual, and he is doing wonderful things with our stuff I am happy to say. Please do check out his webpage, and be sure to spend a lot of money as we get a cut and it turns out that the glamorous job of WalMart Greeter doesn't pay nearly as much as one might think, so we could really use the dough.

For those of you who were wondering why we gave up the exciting and sex-filled lives of World Famous Game Designers (WFGD for short - I play ASL and like acronyms - get over it), it turns out that sex produces offspring, and offspring require scads of time. In fact, if you have a gajillion units of time to burn, you will find that even a single offspring will utilize it to the extent of a gajillion-1. The "-1" bit is just enough time to use the restroom, which is pretty lucky, because without it things would be rather messier than they are already.

Anyway, after years of being a WFGD and all the sex parties and drinking (only the uncivilized wargame sober - it's a fact of science), we just got burned out. It's a shame really, as we had designed some absolutely amazing games, and Thomas had made some lovely bits, including all the ships and guns and what not. Of course, having to dress like Jack Sparrow at every convention thanks to our licensing deal with Disney got old (Fun fact: A fat Jack Sparrow is not sexy no matter how much mascara you put on...) and dealing with all the new convention rules that cropped up out here in California, escalating booth costs at conventions (why are dealers charged ANYTHING since without dealers you cannot have a con?), and out of control bar tabs at hotels basically took all the wind out of our sales. To be honest, I thought I was done with miniature gaming for good for about two years.

But then Dad died. I won't go into the details here, because that's not the point of this blog. But Dad's passing, combined with getting out of the WFGD business, did something to me. I wanted to game again. But not as a business. As a distraction. For fun. Like I used to do before I got caught up in the glamor (and sex) of the miniature gaming industry. And, of course, the only thing that is more fun than wargaming is talking about wargaming*. And hence this blog.

Of course, I will use this opportunity to discuss other matters of importance to me: Fatherhood, booze, my mates in the CGC, and, believe it or not, theology. The later is a fascinating subject on many levels, and one that intrigues me no end, so I am sure I will go on about it from time to time.

And chicks. I will also talk about chicks. But I'm a guy, and an ex-WFGD at that, so what else would one expect? You can take the WFGD out of the sex-parties, but you can't get the WFGD to stop thinking about them. Or something like that.

Cheers!

- Rod


*Of course, sex is more fun than both wargaming and talking about wargaming. But one can safely assume that.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding your likes, I suggest you make a CCG of Monks, or "fathers" who make booze, whilst creating a book of kells.

    Welcome to blogsville, my huckle berry friend.

    Oh, and I am sure twitter is much worse an eword then blog.

    ReplyDelete